Monday, January 19, 2015

Problem Solving: A.P.E.


This morning I took 15 minutes to do a little walkabout around the house...

First, a little background...

For the month of January I've been working on building a good habit, spending 10-15 minutes a day decluttering a shelf or a drawer or a cupboard. Each little declutter session was spent in a different room or area.

These Small Victories have had a very positive effect in our little household. Although I could have probably completed all of my declutter sessions in one, glorious, All Day Saturday Clean-up, I feel my decluttering was more thoughtfully accomplished by taking it in slow, easy steps. Also, small chunks of time decluttering and cleaning have allowed BIG chunks of time for the Important Things in Life. That's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say!

My walkabout was a good review of what I've accomplished. Yeah!...pat on the back and increased enthusiasm to keep decluttering. It also identified some problems.

Example? Stinky ski clothes. : (

Husband's solution? Dry things out by draping clothing all around our bedroom.

Really?!? I don't think so.

So, I took a leaf out of my own book...A.P.E. - a simplified problem-solving method I used with my students.

A...Analyze.


What exactly is the problem? Who “owns” the problem? Who else is affected? What's causing the problem? How important is it to solve the problem? Does the problem need a temporary or permanent solution?


P...Plan.

Brainstorm different ways to solve the problem. Ask others for ideas. Do a little research. Decide on a plan and put it into action.


E...Evaluate.

Decide how long you'll give the new plan a chance to work. Follow through by evaluating! Most important? If the plan didn't work, start analyzing again and come up with a new plan.

What about the stinky ski clothes, you ask?

I think I've come up with an acceptable plan (a repurposed clothes drying rack in a space room close to our bedroom, plus a boot tray at a back door we don't use in winter). We'll see! We'll evaluate at the end of the month.  : )


No comments:

Post a Comment