Friday, June 5, 2015

A Reflection...on enjoying the moment


Good morning!

I thoroughly believe in starting my morning sloooooowwly. Reading the morning paper, sometimes knitting as I listen to the radio, flipping through some websites I follow on my Ipad... Having some “me” time first thing in the morning leaves me much calmer and better able to deal with whatever is happening that day.

Too busy, you say? Hmmm. It's worth getting up half an hour earlier. Try it!

Anyway, I digress.

This morning, I happened upon this quote:

I am alarmed when it happens
that I have walked a mile into the woods bodily,
without getting there in spirit...
The thought of some work will run in my head
and I am not where my body is -
I am out of my senses.
In my walk I would fain return to my senses.
What business have I in the woods,
if I am thinking of something out of the woods?”

- Henry David Thoreau

So true, but it's so much more than just a walk in the woods. How often do we spend more time concentrating on taking a photo “for the record” and less time enjoying the thrill of the moment as a three year old blows out her candles?

Yes, there's a time for multi-tasking and there's value in thinking ahead to the next step as you work on something, but Henry's so right when he admonishes us to putting all of our senses to work as we live the moment.

You might be interested in reading more:


by Maria Popova at brainpickings.org
Always on the hunt for a good book, Maria links to another author I plan to check out:

...as cognitive scientist Alexandra Horowitz invites us to believe in her breathlessly wonderful On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes – a record of her quest to walk around a city block with eleven different “experts”, from an artist to a geologist to a dog, and emerge with fresh eyes mesmerized by the previously unseen fascinations of a familiar world. ...undoubtedly one of the most stimulating books of the year...”

You can read her article about this book here.

And for the little three year old who just blew out the candles?


Have a wonderful, slow, simple Friday!







No comments:

Post a Comment